The second project in Rachel’s Handstitched class is much more complex than the last but I’m getting through it. It is creating a reverse appliqué block to serve as the center of a quilt we can choose (or not) to make. Being a Type A person, I am, of course, MAKING THE QUILT! But after tonight, ouch, I’m feeling dread – wow, this technique can be a bear. If I were making a quilt just for me, I’d do regular appliqué, but, of course, I’m taking this class to learn stuff and thus, I preserve. But wow, a lot of steps!
Generally, this is how far I got. The blue portion is what I’ve been working on all night. The pink will be the background – it’s not attached (or even cut) yet:
I followed Rachel’s instructions – printed a template, fought with curling freezer paper (note to self; cut the freezer paper days before and flatten it under books), etc. and thought I was going forward well enough until I screwed up. I over clipped the inner points and they wouldn’t fold down into points anymore.
So depressing. I mean, this was 2 hours worth of work – just to get to this point (pardon the pun). Rachel suggested that many people make more than one of these blocks (i.e. a test block and then the final block) as work obviously improves with practice but overall the block was looking very good – except for those four glaring spots.
In any event, I made the points ‘narrower’ which means I basically folded over my error. I’m on the fence, the inner are supposed to be pretty pointy and these are more square. But I think they actually look okay. Here’s a close up of one.
Honestly, I think this looks fine. Looking at photos is good though because I think the curves can actually be smoothed out. A project for Monday. For now, I’m off to upstate with the boy with my tank top project. I hope to post ‘finished’ pictures of that on Monday/Tuesday. My first ‘finish’ for Finish it Up ’15. I can’t wait!